Biological Weapons Convention – Meeting of States Parties
Monday 1 December
13.00 - 15.00 Ukraine and University of Bradford - Building a Web of Prevention: Progress to Date - Room XXIV
- Iaroslava Maksymovych, PhD 'Project P633: Education and Awareness-raising in Ukraine'
- Jo Husbands, PhD, 'Report of the OPWC SAB Temporary Working Group on Education and Outreach'
- Brett Edwards, PhD, 'Biological and Chemical Security in an Age of Responsible Innovation'
- Kathryn McLaughlin, 'BioWeapons Monitor 2014'
13.00 - 15.00 King's College London - The Threat of Manufactured Disease - Room XXV
- Gain-of-function research: An example of the importance and continued relevance of the CBMs [podcast]
- Prof Simon Wain-Hobson (Pasteur Institute) and Prof Marc Lipsitch (Harvard University) [presentation]
- Chair’s summary: ‘Preventing a man-made pandemic’ (Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists)
Dr Filippa Lentzos (King’s College London)
18.15 - 20.00 Switzerland - Reception - Restaurant des Delegues, 8th Floor, Palais des Nations
Tuesday 2 December
13.00 - 15.00 UK, Sweden, and Germany - UN Secretary General Mechanism on Investigations of Alleged Use - Room XXIV
Wednesday 3 December
9.00 - 10.00 OPCW and University of Hamburg - Innovative and Enabling Technologies: Embracing Developments in S&T to Benefit Treaty Implementation - Room XXIV
- Jonathan Forman, 'Enabling Biochemical Sampling and Analysis across the Universe'
- Gunnar Jeremias and Mirko Himmel, PhD, 'Open Source Data Analysis: Contributions to Enhancing Transparency in the BWC'
- James Revill, PhD, 'How Easy is "Easy": Tacit Knowledge, Biological Weapons and the BTWC'
13.00 - 15.00 Switzerland - Spiez Convergence 2014: Briefing on First Workshop - Room XXIV
13.00 - 15.00 Geneva Forum - 'Where Next for the Biological Weapons Convention?' - Room XXV
Thursday 4 December
9.00 - 10.00 USA - Global Health Security Agenda, International Response to the Ebola Outbreak, and Their Relevance to the Biological Weapons Convention - Room XXIV
13.00 - 15.00 Germany and Tunisia - Biosecurity - Biorisks - Bioethics - Room XXIV
13.00 - 15.00 France - A Peer-Review Mechanism for the BTWC: Feedback of the Pilot Exercise and Follow-up - Room XXV
Friday 5 December
13.00 -15.00 Italy - National Action Plans and Sharing Best Practices: An Innovative Network Approach to Mitigating Biological Risks - Room XXV